Medically Assisted Death in Canada – Unsettled (and Unsettling?) Law
Keywords:law, physician-assisted suicide
available at http://canlii.ca/t/52mj4.
(2) Carter v Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 5,  1 SCR 331, available at http://canlii.ca/t/gg5z4. [Carter].
(3) Criminal Code, RSC 1985, c C-46, s 227(1), available at http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C-46.pdf.
(4) Peter W Hogg, Presentation to Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs Bill C-14 (medical assistance in dying) (June 6, 2016), available at http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/sen/committee/421/LCJC/Briefs/LCJC_June_6_2016_SN_Hogg_e.pdf.
(5) Canada (Attorney General) v EF, 2016 ABCA 155, 2016 CarswellAlta 895, available at http://canlii.ca/t/grqkg. (“EF”)
(6) Mike Laanela, “Assisted-dying legislation faces new legal challenge in B.C.: Julia Lamb, 25, says she is terrified Canadian law could mean decades of mental and physical suffering, CBCNews (27 June 2016), available at http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bccla- assisted-dying- legislation-1.3654220.
(7) Definition of “terminal illness” in Oregon’s Death with Dignity Act, Or. Rev. Stat. 127.800 §1.01(12), available at https://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources/EvaluationResearch/DeathwithDignityAct/Documents/statute.pdf.
(8) House of Commons Debates, Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada) (April 22, 2016), available at
(9) Department of Justice, Medical Assistance in Dying: Glossary, available at http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ad-am/glos.html.
(10) Specifically, the Pension Act, RSC 1985, cP-6, Corrections and Conditional Release Act, 1992 SC, c20, and Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act, SC 2005, c21.
(11) Canada, External Panel on Options for a Legislative Response to Carter v Canada, Consultations on Physician-Assisted Dying – Summary of Results and Key Findings – Final Report (Ottawa: 15 December 2015), available at http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/other- autre/pad-amm/pad.pdf.
(12) The Provincial-Territorial Expert Advisory Group on Physician-Assisted Dying, Final Report (18 November 2015) at 34, available at http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/news/bulletin/2015/docs/eagreport_20151214_en.pdf.
(13) Canada, Special Joint Committee on on Physician-Assisted Dying, Report of the Special Joint Committee on Physician Assisted Dying (Ottawa: Senate and House of Commons, 25 February 2016), available at http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8120006.
(14) House of Commons Debates, Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada) (May 31, 2016), available at
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.