As Canadian Health Librarians We Must Now move Ahead on the Truth and Reconciliation (TRC) Calls to Action
For many years, the most-pressing information issues associated with the delivery of Aboriginal, Inuit and Metis health care in Canada have occupied CHLA/ABSC at our conferences and in our research. However, a turning point was certainly the publication of JCHLA/JABSC’s Aboriginal health information issue in 2014 . In the last three years, we have worked to understand Aboriginal health information by developing publicly-visible collection tools , subject guides [3-5], and Aboriginal search filters . Behind the scenes, health librarians have also worked with clinicians to address the challenge of improving Aboriginal health across the country.
2. Linton J, Ducas A. A new tool for collection assessment: one library's response to the calls to action issued by Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission Collection Management. 2017; 42:3-4, 256-279. Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01462679.2017.1344596
3. Indigenous health: First Nations, Metis and Inuit Information subject guide. University of Manitoba. Available from: http://libguides.lib.umanitoba.ca/indigenoushealth
4. Aboriginal health: University of Saskatchewan subject guide. Available from: https://libguides.usask.ca/aboriginalhealth
5. Indigenous health: McGill University Library subject guide. Available from: http://libraryguides.mcgill.ca/indigenous
6. Campbell S, Dorgan M, Tjosvold L. Creating provincial and territorial search filters to retrieve studies related to Canadian Indigenous peoples from Ovid MEDLINE. JCHLA / JABSC. 2014;35: 5-10.
7. Tremonti AM. Indigenous leaders give Trudeau government failing grade on delivering promises. The Current. 25 January 2017. Available from: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-january-26-2017-1.3951896/indigenous-leaders-give-trudeau-government-failing-grade-on-delivering-promises-1.3951900
8. CBC News Indigenous. 'Up to society' to make reconciliation reality: Senator Murray Sinclair Former Truth and Reconciliation head to provide reconciliation progress report in Toronto. Available from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/murray-sinclair-truth-and-reconciliation-progress-1.4030715
9. UBC School of Library, Archival and Information Studies. LIBR534 health information sources and services. Available from: http://hlwiki.slais.ubc.ca/index.php/LIBR534:_Health_Information_Sources_and_Services,_2016-2017,_Term_II
10. Aboriginal health. HLWIKI International. Available from: http://hlwiki.slais.ubc.ca/index.php/Aboriginal_health
11. Aboriginal health search filter. HLWIKI International. Available from: http://hlwiki.slais.ubc.ca/index.php/Aboriginal_health_search_filter
12. United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Available from: http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/documents/DRIPS_en.pdf
13. Callison C. CFLA-FCAB Truth & Reconciliation Report and Recommendations. September 2017. Available from: http://cfla-fcab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Truth-and-Reconciliation-Committee-Report-and-Recommendations.pdf
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.