About the Journal
About the Journal
The Journal of Contemporary Issues in Education (JCIE) is an open access, peer reviewed journal that is currently published twice a year. The JCIE is committed to publishing original articles by eminent and emerging scholars that take a critical and interdisciplinary approach on a variety of issues in education from diverse contexts. The journal is open to both field-based research and conceptual and theoretical works; it especially welcomes critical scholarship that aims to contest conventional assumptions about educational and social development contexts and relationships. As such, JCIE accepts for review, previously unpublished articles that include but are not limited to global education, foundations of education (including sociological, philosophical, historical and cultural studies in education), citizenship and human rights education, social justice and related issues in education, specialized curriculum studies topics, policy studies in education and politics of education. We welcome suggestions for special issues and book reviews.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Call for Abstracts for a Journal of Contemporary Issues in Education (JCIE) Special issue
“Towards a SoTL Embracing Critical Southern Paradigms and Frameworks in Higher Education: Curriculum Innovations, Flexible Pedagogies, and Teaching and Learning Support Technologies from a Global South.”
Guest Editors: Chaka Chaka, Sibusiso Clifford Ndlangamandla and Dumisile Mkhize, University of South Africa
The scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) has recently emerged as one of the topical issues in higher education in South Africa and elsewhere. While some scholars welcome SoTL as a movement destined to further social justice and pedagogical innovation, others emphasize the conceptual confusion, terminological vagueness and peripheral position of SoTL in universities. This special issue will be devoted to conceptualising and framing SoTL from a critical Global South perspective, which interrogates, critiques and problematizes every aspect of SoTL from vantage points of critical southern paradigms and frameworks. The special issue invites contributions that cover one or several of the following issues:
- Leading-edge and innovative course/curriculum designs and pedagogies on a SoLT that embraces critical southern paradigms and frameworks
- Innovative teaching and learning support technologies focusing on a SoLT that embraces critical southern paradigms and frameworks
- Empirical studies (case studies, projects, or initiatives) on a SoLT that embraces critical southern paradigms and frameworks
Submission Guidelines and Key Dates
Abstracts (300 words) together with short biographical notes (100 words) should be sent before 31st August 2021, to Prof. Chaka Chaka at email@example.com
- Notification of invitation for full papers on or before: 10th November 2021
- Deadline for full papers (between 5,800-6,500 words incl. references): 28th February 2022
- Deadline for revised papers after first review (by special issue editors): 31st May 2022
- Deadline for revised papers after second review (by one external reviewer): 15th August 2022
- Publication of Special Issue: October 2022
Please contact Prof. Chaka Chaka at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.